Lensa AI works by using generative AI. This allows the app to take a simple selfie photo and change it into a customized avatar, fantasy scene, anime character, or other image.
This AI can add artistic styles, backgrounds, costumes, and other details. Tech company Prisma Labs created the app.
It became viral with over 26 million downloads in total. Users have created more than 100 million avatars and images with the app.
It does this by analyzing the selfie and then generating a new image based on the patterns it recognizes.
78% of Lensa users agree that the app makes realistic Avatare from their selfies The app aims to give regular people access to advanced AI image generation in a user-friendly way. It shows how AI like this could be used more in everyday life.
Lensa AI’s new “Magic Avatars” feature has driven major growth for the app. It was introduced in December 2022. Shortly after launch, Lensa AI reached #1 on the US App Store download charts.
In just the first 5 days after releasing Magic Avatars, Lensa AI generated $8.2 million in revenue. This exceeded the company’s total revenue for the entire previous year.
The viral popularity of AI-powered avatars has rapidly expanded Lensa AI’s user base and revenue.
Lensa AI Key Statistics
- Lensa AI has generated a revenue of $16.2 million in 2022.
- $8 million in revenue was solely from the new Magic Avatar feature introduced in December 2022.
- At the start of December 2022, Lensa AI had 1.1 million users.
- The Lensa app has over 26 million downloads across both iOS and Android platforms.
- Over 10 million job seekers registered on Lensa AI platform
- Partnered with 70,000+ companies worldwide
- Lensa Ai is present in 20+ countries, available in multiple languages
- The company has raised over $13M in funding from investors
- #1 Grossing App in United States, Australia, France, Canada, Germany, England, Italy and Turkey
Lensa AI Overview
- Lunch Date: Lensa AI was created in October 2018 and released in October 2019
- Headquarters: Lensa AI’s headquarters are in Sunnyvale, California.
- People: Lensa AI was founded by Andrey Usoltsev (CEO) & Oleg Poyaganov (CTO).
- Business Type: Private photo editing app company.
- Owner: Owned by Prisma Labs.
- Industry: Photo Editor, AI Image Generator
Lensa AI Revenue
In 2021, the revenue stood at $6.5 million, serving as a foundational year. However, in 2022 the revenues stood at $39.24 million, marking a six-fold increase from the previous year.
This sudden surge was due to the tool’s popularity and the Magic Avatar feature introduced in December.
As for 2023, in just the initial four months, the revenue has already reached $8.26 million, suggesting a promising trajectory for the rest of the year if the trend continues. .
Annual revenue 2021 to 2023
|Year||Revenue ($ in mm)|
|2023 (Till April)||$8.26|
Monthly Revenue Jan 2021 to April 2023
In 2021, Lensa AI’s monthly revenue started was between $0.4 and $0.85 million per month.
In 2022, the monthly revenue stayed about the same until November. In November 2022, the revenue spiked up to $1.46 million.
The revenue skyrocketed to $30.75 million in December 2022 due to rising popularity and new features.
In 2023 so far, the monthly revenue has gone down some from that peak. But it’s still way more than before, over $1 million per month.
|Month and Year||Revenue ($ in mm)|
Lensa AI Users
Lensa AI has over one million active users as of December 2022.
Lensa AI annual users 2020 to 2022 (mm)
Lensa AI Downloads
The Lensa app saw fast growth in downloads from 2020 to 2021, increasing around 86% from 5.1 million to 9.5 million.
In 2022 the download growth rate slowed to 10.5%, reaching 10.5 million. So while Lensa expanded each year, its growth pace moderated in 2022 compared to the previous surge.
Please Note: The 2022 numbers are before the launch of the Magic Avatar features as it resulted in a download spike of 19.3 million downloads.
Annual downloads 2020 to 2023 (in mm)
|Year||Downloads (in mm)|
|2023 (Till April)||3.68|
Monthly Downloads Jan 2021 to April 2023
When Lensa first launched in 2018, it got about 1.6 million downloads in January 2021.
In November 2022, the app suddenly got way more popular because of TikTok and Instagram. It got almost 2 million downloads just in November 2022.
Lensa AI was downloaded over 19.3 million times worldwide in December 2022. But then in January 2023, downloads dropped to only 1.4 million.
The sudden spike was due to the introduction of the “Magic Avatar Feature“
However, the number of downloads went down again in January 2023 after the initial surge.
|Month and Year||Downloads (in mm)|