An application, commonly known as an app, is a set of programs or pieces of software bundled together that allow users to access certain features.
As the era of mobile and smartphones evolved, applications or apps became an integral part of our lives. You can find millions of applications in Android and iOS app stores offering different services.
For instance, social media apps help users connect irrespective of location and time zone. Likewise, e-commerce apps allow users to buy and sell different products.
With the advent of digital marketing and media, businesses that never needed an app are getting into the game. Apps have been a key player in leveraging businesses.
Types of Applications
Apps may vary in different aspects. Generally, they are differentiated on the following:
- how they are built- native, web, or hybrid
- the platform they run on- desktop, mobile, or specific hardware like camera or GPS
- the market they are used for- Google Chrome, Android Play Store, or Apple store
- open source or proprietary- publicly accessible or marketed under and protected by a registered trade name
There are seven types of apps commonly found and used by mobile users:
- Lifestyle Mobile apps– These apps are generally related to beauty, fitness, food, music, travel, dating, etc. The best examples of lifestyle mobile apps are Uber, Spotify, Tripadvisor, and Tinder.
- Mobile Commerce or M-commerce apps– Apps like Amazon and Shopify are the most common examples of e-commerce apps through which users can purchase and sell products.
- Social Media Mobile apps- Developing a social network is human nature, and developers utilize this feature to bring apps like Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram.
- Utility Mobile apps– Most applications are already installed on smartphones, like an alarm clock, calculator, calendar, flashlight, etc. Most often, we take their services without thinking of them as apps.
- Entertainment apps and Gaming apps– This category has the highest number of apps with huge competition. Every day, developers create new game apps due to high demand. Users come back multiple times each week or day to their favorite game apps. Likewise, entertainment apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime video can draw viewers daily.
- Productivity Mobile apps– It is another popular category of mobile apps that make certain tasks easy, fast, and efficient. The best examples of productivity mobile apps are docs, sheets, wallet, Evernote, etc.
- News Mobile apps- Giving news and information straightforwardly, these apps hold an important place. The popular apps in this category are Google news and weather, Buzzfeed, Reddit, Inshorts, etc.
When it comes to mobile marketing, the success of an app depends upon targeting the right audience and offering valuable services. At the same time, how users are able to perceive the services also contributes to an app’s success. Here, marketing campaigns play a crucial role.
How Does an App Differ from Software and Program?
Even though applications, software, and program are related to one another, they are not the same. Often these three words are used together or interchangeably.
Programs are a sequence or set of instructions in a programming language. C#, Python, and Java are common examples of programming languages. They tell a computer what and how to perform.
On the other hand, software is the programs and other operating information used by a computer. While the application is also a type of software, it is different because it is designed to interact with the computer or mobile user.
What are the Benefits of Applications?
Here are the major benefits of apps:
Expands Mobile Economy
When it comes to the mobile economy, apps play the most crucial role. They have been able to generate more and more smartphone users by offering a number of services in just a few clicks and taps. It won’t be an exaggeration to say that apps have trapped users in the smartphone revolution.
Created multiple billion-dollar industries
It is the power of apps that has led to multi-billion dollar industries worldwide. According to a survey, revenue in the mobile games segment alone is projected to reach US$315.90bn in 2023. The number of users is expected to amount to 2,323.9m by 2027. User penetration will be 25.1% in 2023 and is expected to hit 29.2% by 2027.
Likewise, many social media apps contribute massively to their multi-billion dollar revenues each quarter. All thanks to applications!
Increased the value of mobile advertising
Companies are generating revenues either through apps or advertising on mobile devices. Thus, apps have increased the worth of mobile advertising on a global scale.
Offer valuable services to users
Apps are beneficial not only for the developers or mobile industry but the users as well. Due to the versatility of apps, people are able to perform a lot of tasks hassle-free. Apps help you remember things, stay connected to the world and beloveds, entertain yourself with games, shows, news, etc., and buy and sell in the comfort of your home.